The Donald and Ruth Gard Manuscript Collection
Scope and Content
This collection consists of Reverend Gard's manuscript sermons.
- 1993, bulk undated
Language of Materials
There are no special restrictions to the access of this collection. It may be examined by library patrons under the normal rules and conditions of Special Collections.
The following is the acceptable citation for publication: The Donald and Ruth Gard Manuscript Collection. Special Collections, Princeton Theological Seminary Library.
- 1923 May 20
- Born, Kingsburg, California
- Graduated, University of California, Berkeley
- Student, Master of Divinity, Princeton Theological Seminary
- 1946 June
- Ordained, Presbytery of San Joaquin
- Student, University of Basel
- Professor, Princeton Theological Seminary
- Granted Master of Arts degree, Princeton University
- Graduated, Doctor of Philosophy, Princeton University
- Pastor, First Church, Trenton
- Pastor, First Church, Anaheim, California
- Assistant to the President, California State University, Fullerton
- Professor, California State University, Fullerton
- 1995 July 25
- 1922 November 22
- Born, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Graduated, University of California, Los Angeles
- Student, Master of Religious Education, Princeton Theological Seminary
- Teacher, Burbank, California
- Director of Christian Education, Presbyterian Church, Bellflower
- Teacher, special education, Fullerton
- Teacher, kindergarten, Fullerton
- Reading specialist, Fullerton
The Rev. Dr. Donald H. Gard received his education at the University of California at Berkeley (B.A., 1943), Princeton Theological Seminary (B.D., 1946), the University of Basel, Switzerland (1946-47), and Princeton University (M.A., 1949; Ph.D., 1950). He was ordained into the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) in 1946, and served as a pastor in churches in New Jersey and California. He also had a successful career as an educator, serving as a professor at Princeton Seminary and California State University, Fullerton. Dr. Gard died in 1995.
Mrs. Ruth Gard (B.A., UCLA, 1943; M.R.E., PTS, 1947) was among the first female graduates of Princeton Theological Seminary. She had a distinguished career as a teacher and Christian educator.
0.4 Linear Feet (2 boxes)
Ruth Gard donated papers belonging to her late husband in three installments, received December 9, 1995 and February 28, 1996, and December 1997. The collection consists primarily of sermons manuscripts prepared by Dr. Gard. The collection was organized in March of 1996 by Raymond D. Cannata and in December 1997 by Wesley W. Smith, under the direction of William O. Harris, Archivist. Mrs. Gard also donated four photographs of women students enrolled during her time at Princeton Seminary. These have been labeled and organized in the PTS Photograph Collection.
- The Donald and Ruth Gard Manuscript Collection
- Raymond D. Cannata
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Princeton Theological Seminary. Library. Special Collections Repository
Princeton Theological Seminary
25 Library Place
Princeton NJ 08540 USA