The George Washington Fleming Birch Manuscript Collection
Scope and Content
The papers of Rev. Birch are contained in two archival boxes and consist primarily of his handwritten sermon manuscripts along with correspondence, photographs, and other personal documents.
- 1860 - 1902
Language of Materials
There are no special restrictions on access to this collection. It is available for the use of library patrons under the regular rules and conditions of Special Collections.
The following is the acceptable citation for publication: The George Washington Fleming Birch Manuscript Collection. Special Collections, Princeton Theological Seminary Library.
- 1837 March 26
- Born, Clayville, Pennsylvania
- Graduated, Washington College, Pennsylvania
- Student, Western Theological Seminary, Philadelphia
- 1862 January 17
- Ordained, Presbytery of Sangamon
- Pastor, Third Church, Springfield, Illinois
- Student, Princeton Theological Seminary
- Stated supply, Carr Place church, St. Louis
- Pastor, Second Church, Lexington, Kentucky
- Pastor, Third Church, Indianapolis
- Pastor, Bethany Church, New York City
- Awarded honorary Doctor of Divinity, Centre College, Kentucky
- Awarded honorary Doctor of Law, West Virginia University
- 1902 April 26
- Died, New York City
Rev. George Washington Fleming Birch (1837-1902) was born in Pennsylvania. He was educated at Washington College, Western Theological Seminary (1858-1861), and Princeton Theological Seminary (1869-1870). He received honorary degrees from Centre College in Kentucky (D.D., 1885) and West Virginia University (L.L.D., 1895). Rev. Birch was ordained in 1862. He pastored many churches; the Third Presbyterian Church of Springfield, Illinois from 1862 to 1869, Carr Place Church in St. Louis in 1870, Second Presbyterian Church of Lexington, Kentucky from 1870 to 1873, Third Presbyterian Church of Indianapolis, Indiana from 1873 to 1876, and Bethany Presbyterian Church in New York City from 1879 until his death in 1902.
0.8 Linear Feet (2 Boxes)
These items were organized into a manuscript collection in September of 2000. The provenance of this collection is unknown.
- The George Washington Fleming Birch Manuscript Collection
- Joe L. Coker
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Princeton Theological Seminary. Library. Special Collections Repository
Princeton Theological Seminary
25 Library Place
Princeton NJ 08540 USA