The Alexander P. Silliman Manuscript Collection
Scope and Content
This collection consists of material by and about Alexander Silliman. It includes journals, personal notes, course notes, correspondence, and biographical materials.
- 1844-1890; 1975-1989
Language of Materials
There are no special restrictions to access of this collection. It may be examined by library patrons under the normal rules and conditions of Special Collections.
The following is the acceptable citation for publication: The Alexander P. Silliman Manuscript Collection. Special Collections, Princeton Theological Seminary Library.
- 1818 June 19
- Born, York District, South Carolina
- Graduated, College of New Jersey (now Princeton University)
- Student, Princeton Theological Seminary
- Stated supply, Oak Grove and Pleasant Ridge, Alabama
- 1850 April 15
- Ordained, Presbytery of Tuscaloosa
- Pastor, Hebron and Ebenezer
- Pastor, Ebenezer
- Agent, Southern Publishing Company, Lauderdale, Mississippi
- Stated supply, Rusk and Palestine, Texas
- Pastor, Marshall
- Evangelist, Marshall
- Bible agent and missionary
- 1890 January 1
- Died, Charleston, South Carolina
Alexander Perry Silliman was born in the York District of South Carolina, June 19, 1818. He graduated from the College of New Jersey (now Princeton University) in 1845, and from Princeton Theological Seminary in 1848. Ordained by the Presbytery of Tuscaloosa, he was a Presbyterian pastor and evangelist for many years. He died in Charleston, South Carolina on January 9, 1890.
0.3 Linear Feet (1 Box)
The primary sources of Alexander Silliman included in this collection were donated to the Seminary Libraries on June 5, 1975 by his granddaughter, Mrs. Dorothy Milling (Morgan) Parnell. Other material related to Silliman was added to the collection from Seminary files.
This collection was organized and the original finding aid was written in the spring of 1993 by Douglas F. Denné under the direction of William O. Harris, Archivist. The finding aid was updated in August 1996 by Raymond Cannata, and edited in March of 2009 by Sarah Seraphin.
- The Alexander P. Silliman Manuscript Collection
- Douglas F. Denné
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Princeton Theological Seminary. Library. Special Collections Repository
Princeton Theological Seminary
25 Library Place
Princeton NJ 08540 USA