Skip to main content

Eugenia Jones Bacon papers

 Collection — Box: 1
Identifier: SCM 003

Scope and Contents

This collection consists of various documents related to the "Wonder Stone," including various pamphlets, printed testimonials, Mrs. Bacon's manuscript recollections, correspondence with Dr. Charles Erdman of the Seminary (1908), and numerous photographs.


  • 1880-1908

Conditions Governing Access

There are no special restrictions to access of this collection. It may be examined by library patrons under the normal rules and conditions of Special Collections.

Biographical / Historical

In September of 1880 Mrs. Eugenia Jones Bacon of Atlanta, Georgia attended the deci-annual Passion Play in Oberammergau, Bavaria. While there she climbed the mountain Kopfel that overlooks the village and collected some minerals and rocks. Eight years later, after viewing one of the stones in a certain light, noticed that the rough edge on one side showed an image the face of Jesus. Experts of the day investigated, to find that the stone did not appear to have been carved or altered by human hands.

The entrepreneurial Mrs. Bacon called the stone "the Natural Portrait Stone," (also referred to as "the Wonder Stone"). She had the stone exhibited at many places, including the Vatican and Buckingham Palace. Three works about the stone were written by Bacon, including: A Stone from Oberammergau: With a Description of This Wonderful Phenomenon. New York: J. Pott & Co, 1891; The Stone Portrait of the Man of Sorrows, An Ideal of Patient Suffering. London: Lamley, 1896; and The Real Stone Face; or, Suffering Depicted by Nature. Atlanta: Foote & Davies, 1899.

In 1898, Bacon published Lyddy: A Tale of the Old South, a fictionalized memoir of her life, written as a response to Harriett Beecher Stowe's 1852 anti-slavery work Uncle Tom's Cabin.


.3 Linear Feet

Language of Materials


Immediate Source of Acquisition

It is not currently known how these items were acquired by the Seminary. They may have been given to the library by Dr. Charles R. Erdman.

Processing Information

These documents were organized as a manuscript collection in December of 1996 under the direction of William O. Harris, Archivist. The finding aid was edited by Sarah Seraphin in February of 2009.

The Eugenia Jones Bacon papers
Raymond D. Cannata
1996, 2009
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Script of description
Code for undetermined script
Language of description note

Repository Details

Part of the Princeton Theological Seminary. Library. Special Collections Repository

Princeton Theological Seminary
Wright Library
25 Library Place
Princeton NJ 08540 USA