The Brevard S. Childs Manuscript Collection
Scope and Content
This collection consists of 0.4 linear feet of manuscripts and typescripts of significant works by and about Dr. Childs, as well as correspondence and course notes.
Language of Materials
There are no special restrictions to access of this collection. It may be examined by library patrons under the normal rules and conditions of Special Collections.
The following is the acceptable citation for publication: The Brevard S. Childs Manuscript Collection. Special Collections, Princeton Theological Seminary Library.
- 1923 September 2
- Born, Columbia, South Carolina
- Served in United States Army
- Graduated, Master of Arts, University of Michigan
- Student, Bachelor of Divinity, Princeton Theological Seminary
- Student, Doctor of Theology, University of Basel
- Student, University of Heidelberg
- Ordained, New England Presbytery
- Professor, Old Testament, Mission House Seminary, Plymouth, Wisconsin
- Professor, Old Testament, Yale Divinity School
- Awarded honorary Doctorate of Theology, University of Aberdeen
- Awarded honorary Doctorate of Theology, University of Glasgow
Dr. Childs was born September 2, 1923 in Columbia, South Carolina. He received a Master of Arts at the University of Michigan in 1947, a Bachelor of Divinity at Princeton Theological Seminary in 1950, and the Doctor of Theology at The University of Basel, Switzerland in 1955. He was ordained into ministry by the Wisconsin Synod of the Evangelical and Reformed Church in 1954. For more than thirty-five years he was Professor of Old Testament at Yale Divinity School. Dr. Childs authored more than a dozen published books.
0.4 Linear Feet (1 Box )
This collection of papers was given to the Library of Princeton Theological Seminary by Dr. Childs in the summer of 1995. Additions were made in April 1996 and October 1997. The collection consists of manuscripts and typescripts of significant works by and about Dr. Childs, as well as correspondence and course notes.
- The Brevard S. Childs Manuscript Collection
- Raymond D. Cannata
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Princeton Theological Seminary. Library. Special Collections Repository
Princeton Theological Seminary
25 Library Place
Princeton NJ 08540 USA