The John DeWitt Manuscript Collection
Scope and Content
This constructed collection includes correspondence, biographical materials, sermons, manuscripts, printed course outlines, and published pamphlets.
- 1881 - 1910
Language of Materials
There are no special restrictions placed on the accessibility of this collection. It is available to library patrons under the normal rules and conditions of Special Collections.
The following is the acceptable citation for publication: The John DeWitt Manuscript Collection. Special Collections, Princeton Theological Seminary Library.
- 1842 October 10
- Born, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
- Graudated, College of New Jersey (now Princeton University)
- Student, Princeton Theological Seminary
- 1865 June 9
- Ordained, Third Presbyterian Church, New York City
- Pastor, Irvington, New York
- Pastor, Central Congregational Church, Boston, Massachusetts
- Pastor, Tenth Presbyterian Church, Philadelphia
- Granted, Doctor of Divinity, College of New Jersey
- Professor, Church History, Lane Theological Seminary
- Professor, Apologetics, McCormick Theological Seminary
- Granted Doctor of Law, Hanover College
- Professor, Church History, Princeton Theological Seminary
- 1923 November 23
- Died, Princeton, New Jersey
Dr. John DeWitt (1842-1923) was educated at the College of New Jersey (Princeton University), Princeton Seminary, and Union Theological Seminary (New York). He served several significant churches, including the Tenth Presbyterian Church of Philadelphia, before becoming a professor of church history. Dr. DeWitt taught at Lane Theological Seminary, McCormick Theological Seminary, and Princeton Seminary (1892-1912). He also served as a trustee of Princeton University, and was awarded honorary doctoral degrees from Princeton University and Hanover College.
0.3 Linear Feet (1 half document box)
This collection was gathered from a number of sources. The collection was organized in February of 1997.
- The John DeWitt Manuscript Collection
- Raymond D. Cannata
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the Princeton Theological Seminary. Library. Special Collections Repository
Princeton Theological Seminary
25 Library Place
Princeton NJ 08540 USA