The Samuel Dodd Manuscript Collection
Identifier: SCM 136
Scope and Content
This collection contains one bound travel diary written by Samuel Dodd while on route to his mission in China, from June 1 through September 27, 1861. The collection also includes a photograph of Dr. Dodd with his wife and three sons, as well as a letter which he wrote from China in 1875, addressed to Charles Aiken of Princeton Seminary.
Language of Materials
There are no special restrictions to the access of this collection. It may be examined by library patrons under the normal rules and conditions of Special Collections.
The following is the acceptable citation for publication: The Samuel Dodd Manuscript Collection. Special Collections, Princeton Theological Seminary Library.
- 1832 January 21
- Born, County Down, Ireland
- Graduated, New York University
- Student, Princeton Theological Seminary
- 1861 November 3
- Ordained, evangelist, Ningpo Presbytery
- Stated supply, Yu-yiao Church, China
- Stated supply, Ningpo, China
- Superintendent, mission school, Ningpo
- Stated supply, Zong-yu and San-poh
- Superintendent, mission school, Hangchow
- Stated supply, Bridgehampton, New York
- Pastor, Stephentown
- 1894 December 7
- Died, Garfield, New York
Samuel Dodd (1832-1894) was born in County Down, Ireland and graduated from New York University and Princeton Seminary (class of 1861). He served as a Presbyterian missionary in China, 1861-78, and thereafter as a Presbyterian pastor in New York until his death.
0.3 Linear Feet (1 Box)
Dodd's travel diary journal was given to the Seminary on August 5, 1975, by the Reverend Dodd's granddaughter, Mary Craig Rice of Daytona Beach, Florida. A note from Mrs. Rice, filed with the diary, contains genealogical and biographical information. In the old library this diary was cataloged with the call number (MS D6615). In October of 1996, the diary and the other material in this collection were processed as a manuscript collection, and the original finding aid was written by Raymond Cannata under the direction of William O. Harris, Archivist. The finding aid was edited by Sarah Seraphin and Daved Anthony Schmidt in May of 2009.
- The Samuel Dodd Manuscript Collection
- Raymond D. Cannata
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script