The Chalmers Martin Manuscript Collection
Scope and Content
This collection consists of papers written while Martin was a student at the College of New Jersey (now Princeton University).
- 1875 - 1881
Language of Materials
There are no special restrictions to the access of this collection. It may be examined by library patrons under the normal rules and conditions of Special Collections.
The following is the acceptable citation for publication: The Chalmers Martin Manuscript Collection. Special Collections, Princeton Theological Seminary Library.
- 1859 September 7
- Born, Ashland, Kentucky
- Graduated, College of New Jersey (now Princeton University)
- Student, Princeton Theological Seminary
- Hebrew fellow, Princeton Theological Seminary
- 1883 April 17
- Ordained, Presbytery of Elizabeth
- Missionary, North Laos, Siam
- Assistant pastor, Lawrenceville, New Jersey
- Pastor, First Church, Moorestown
- Pastor, First Church, Port Henry, New York
- Instructor, Old Testament, Princeton Theological Seminary
- Instructor, Hebrew, Princeton University
- Stated supply, Burlington, New Jersey
- Stated supply, Second Church, Princeton
- President, Pennsylvania College for Women, Pittsburgh
- Awarded honorary Doctor of Divinity, Princeton University
- Professor, Old Testament history and Literature, College of Wooster, Ohio
- Stated supply, Westminster church, Wooster, Ohio
- Stated supply, San Mateo, Florida
- Professor emeritus, College of Wooster
- 1934 February 28
- Died, Wooster, Ohio
The Rev. Dr. Chalmers Martin (1859-1934) was born in Ashland, Kentucky on September 7, 1859. For more than fifty years, he served the Church as a missionary, pastor, and educator.
Dr. Martin was a 1879 graduate of the College of New Jersey (now Princeton University) and an 1882 graduate of Princeton Seminary. He was awarded a fellowship in Hebrew at Princeton Seminary for 1882/1883. He also received an honorary Doctor of Divinity degree from Princeton University in 1901.
Dr. Martin was ordained by the Presbytery of Elizabeth of the PCUSA in 1882, and, after three years on the mission field in Siam, he served several churches in New Jersey, Florida, and Ohio. He was an instructor of Hebrew at both Princeton Seminary and Princeton University from 1892 to 1900, and was Professor of Old Testament History and Literature at the College of Wooster, from 1903 to 1929. He briefly served as President of the Pennsylvania College for Women in Pittsburgh, from 1900 to 1903.
0.3 Linear Feet (1 Box)
This collection was given to the Seminary in February of 1985 by Hugh I. Troth of Ashland, Ohio. The collection was processed, and the original finding aid was written in July of 1996, by Raymond D. Cannata, under the direction of William O. Harris, Archivist. The finding aid was edited by Sarah Seraphin and Daved Anthony Schmidt in May of 2009.
- The Chalmers Martin Manuscript Collection
- Raymond D. Cannata
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Princeton Theological Seminary. Library. Special Collections Repository
Princeton Theological Seminary
25 Library Place
Princeton NJ 08540 USA