Joseph and Augusta Owen Manuscript Collection
Identifier: SCM 157
Scope and Content
This collection includes the diaries of Joseph Owen, missionary to India in the mid-nineteenth century, and of his wife Augusta.
- 1840 - 1861
Language of Materials
There are no special restrictions to the access of this collection. It may be examined by library patrons under the normal rules and conditions of Special Collections.
The following is the acceptable citation for publication: The Joseph and Augusta M. Owen diaries. Special Collections, Princeton Theological Seminary Library.
- (Augusta) Born, Canada, Augusta Margaret Firth Proctor. Daughter of Col. Henry and Elizabeth Proctor.
- 1814 June 14
- (Joseph) Born, Bedford, New York
- (Joseph) Graduated, College of New Jersey (now Princeton University)
- (Joseph) Student, Princeton Theological Seminary
- 1839 October 2
- (Joseph) Ordained, evangelist, Presbytery of Bedford
- (Joseph) Missionary, Allahabad, India
- (Augusta) Left England and traveled around the world
- (Augusta) Married to Joseph Owen, Allahabad, India
- 1846 February 14
- (Augusta) Son Henry James Owen is born
- (Joseph) President, Allahabad Missionary College
- (Joseph) Professor, Allahabad Theological Seminary
- (Augusta) Left India and traveled to England and America
- (Augusta) Returned to India
- (Joseph) Granted Doctor of Divinity, College of New Jersey (now Princeton University)
- 1870 December 4
- (Joseph) Died, Edinburgh, Scotland
0.3 Linear Feet (1 Box)
This collection was processed and the original finding aid was written in the spring of 1993, by Douglas F. Denné, under the direction of William O. Harris, Archivist. The finding aid was edited by Daved Anthony Schmidt and Sarah Seraphin in April of 2009.
- The Joseph and Augusta Owen Manuscript Collection
- Douglas F. Denné
- Description rules