The Francis Landey Patton Manuscript Collection
Identifier: SCM 066
Scope and Content
This constructed collection includes student notes of Patton lectures, printed lecture notes (with student marginalia by Robert E. Speer), biographical materials, news clippings, and correspondence.
- 1871 - 1907
Language of Materials
There are no special restrictions on the accessibility of this collection. It is available for the use of library patrons under the normal rules and conditions of the Seminary Archives.
The following is the acceptable citation for publication: The Francis Landey Patton Manuscript Collection. Special Collections, Princeton Theological Seminary Library.
- Born in Warwick, Bermuda
- B.A., Knox College, University of Toronto
- Student, Princeton Theological Seminary
- Pastor, 84th St. Church, New York City
- Pastor, Nyack, New York
- Prosecutor, David Swing heresy trial
- Pastor, Jefferson Park Church
- Professor, theology, North-Western Theological Seminary
- Moderator, General Assembly, PCUSA
- Professor, Relations of Philosophy and Science to Christian Religion, Princeton Theological Seminary
- President, Princeton University
- Professor, Ethics, Princeton University
- Lecturer, Theism, Princeton Theological Seminary
- President and Professor of Philosophy of Religion, Princeton Theological Seminary
- Resident, Warwick, Bermuda
- Died, Warwick, Bermuda
President Patton also received honorary doctoral degrees from Hanover College, Yale University, the College of Wooster, Harvard University, the University of Toronto, Johns Hopkins University, the University of Maryland, and Princeton University. He authored three books and numerous articles and pamphlets.
0.3 Linear Feet (1 Box)
This collection was organized, and the original finding aid was written by Raymond D. Cannata, under the direction of William O. Harris, Archivist in April of 1996. In May of 2004, Special Collections was gifted photographs of Patton's tombstone and church in Bermuda, which were added to the end of the collection. The finding aid was edited by Sarah Seraphin in February of 2009.
- The Francis Landey Patton Manuscript Collection
- Raymond D. Cannata
- Description rules