The Frank Rosebrook Symmes Manuscript Collection
Scope and Content
This collection consists of sermons and Sunday school lesson manuscripts, as well as hand-illustrated papers by Dr. Symmes.
- 1883 - 1927
Language of Materials
There are no special restrictions to the access of this collection. It may be examined by library patrons under the normal rules and conditions of Special Collections.
The following is the acceptable citation for publication: The Frank R. Symmes Manuscript Collection. Special Collections, Princeton Theological Seminary Library.
- 1856 October 24
- Born, Madison, Indiana
- Graduated, College of New Jersey (now Princeton University)
- Student, Princeton Theological Seminary
- 1886 May 13
- Ordained, Presbytery of West Jersey
- Pastor, Fairfield Presbyterian Church, Fairton, New Jersey
- Pastor, Old Tennent Presbyterian Church, Tennent, New Jersey
- Pastor Emeritus, Old Tennent Presbyterian Church
- Awarded honorary doctor of divinity, Central College (Iowa)
- 1928 March 22
- Died, Freehold, New Jersey
0.3 Linear Feet (1 Box)
These materials were given to the Seminary Libraries by Dr. Symmes' daughter, Miss Marion Symmes of Freehold, New Jersey in May of 1983. Dr. Symmes was a skillful artist, and some of these hand-illustrated papers were placed on display in the campus Mackay Center for several years. They were removed to archival storage in 1989. This collection was processed, and the original finding aid was written by Raymond D. Cannata in September of 1996, under the direction of William O. Harris, Archivist. The finding aid was edited by Sarah Seraphin and Daved Anthony Schmidt in June of 2009.
- The Frank Rosebrook Symmes Manuscript Collection
- Raymond D. Cannata
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Princeton Theological Seminary. Library. Special Collections Repository
Princeton Theological Seminary
25 Library Place
Princeton NJ 08540 USA