The Ethelbert D. Warfield Manuscript Collection
Scope and Content
This constructed collection contains correspondence, biographical materials, pamphlets written in whole or part by Ethelbert Warfield, and pamphlets from the library of Ethelbert Warfield.
- 1889 - 1928
Language of Materials
There are no special restrictions to the access of this collection. It may be examined by library patrons under the normal rules and conditions of Special Collections.
The following is the acceptable citation for publication: The Ethelbert D. Warfield Manuscript Collection. Special Collections, Princeton Theological Seminary Library.
- Born, Lexington, Kentucky. Son of William and Mary Cabell Breckinridge Warfield, brother of Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield.
- B.A., Princeton University
- Admitted to the Kentucky Bar of law
- LL.B., Columbia University Law School; M.A., Princeton University
- President and Professor of History, Miami University (Ohio)
- LL.D. (honorary), Princeton University; Litt.D. (honorary), Miami University (Ohio)
- President and Professor of History and Political Science, Lafayette College, PA
- Member, Board of Directors, Princeton Theological Seminary
- Ordained, Lehigh Presbytery (PCUSA)
- First Vice-President, Board of Directors
- President, Board of Directors
- President, Wilson College, Chambersburg, PA
- 1936 July 6
- Died, California
0.3 Linear Feet (1 Box)
This collection was organized in April of 1996, by Raymond D. Cannata, under the direction of William O. Harris, Archivist. The collection was constructed from a number of sources. For several years a collection of pamphlets had been preserved in an archives department document box simply marked "Ethelbert Warfield." These chiefly consisted of works written by Dr. Warfield, though a few items appear to merely be works owned by him. Added to this pamphlet collection were biographical materials photocopied from Archives Office files.
In addition, various items of correspondence were filed in this collection. Some are original letters, but most are photocopies of correspondence of Dr. Warfield's which had been held in the Seminary Archives' files. The original copies of these remain in the Benjamin B. Warfield and the Princeton Seminary Board of Directors manuscript collections from which they came. It should be noted that there are many other letters written by Ethelbert Warfield which are preserved in those collections, but have not been photocopied and added to Ethelbert Warfield's manuscripts.
- The Ethelbert D. Warfield Manuscript Collection
- Raymond D. Cannata
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the Princeton Theological Seminary. Library. Special Collections Repository
Princeton Theological Seminary
25 Library Place
Princeton NJ 08540 USA