The J. Christy Wilson Sr. Manuscript Collection
Scope and Content
This collection consists primarily of correspondence, clippings, and lecture notes, most dating from the year 1951. Some items relate to the early career of Dr. Wilson's son, J. Christy Wilson, Jr.
- 1951, 1967-1969
Language of Materials
There are no special restrictions to the access of this collection. It may be examined by library patrons under the normal rules and conditions of Special Collections.
The following is the acceptable citation for publication: The J. Christy Wilson, Sr. Manuscript Collection. Special Collections, Princeton Theological Seminary Library.
- 1891 July 22
- Born, Columbus, Nebraska to Charles C. and Lillie Gray Moore Wilson
- B.A., University of Kansas, Phi Beta Kappa
- Newspaper editor, Daily Post, Idaho Falls, Idaho
- 1917 April 8
- Married to C. Fern Wilson in Washington, D.C.
- 1918 July 19
- Ordained, Lehigh Presbytery, United Presbyterian Church
- Th.B., Princeton Theological Seminary
- M.A., Princeton University
- Evangelistic missionary in Tabriz, Iran, under the Presbyterian Board of Foreign Missions
- Chairman, Near East Relief Commission for Persia
- Th.M., Princeton Theological Seminary
- Doctor of Divinity (honorary), Lafayette College; Doctor of Divinity (honorary), Emporia College
- Chairman, Near East Christian Council
- Associate Professor of Missions and Dean of Field Services, Princeton Theological Seminary
- Director, Princeton Institute of Theology
- Pastor of Visitation, First Presbyterian Church, Princeton
- Pastor of Visitation, First Presbyterian Church, Monrovia, California
- Resident, Duarte, California
- 1973 April 8
- Died, Duarte, California; Interment at Live Oaks Cemetery, Monrovia, California.
Dr. Wilson participated in archaeological expeditions in the closed country of Afghanistan during the years he was stationed in Persia. During his years on the faculty at Princeton Seminary, he traveled with Dr. Frank Laubach's Literacy Campaign in Afghanistan as interpreter and linguistic aid. During these same years he was also a member of the National Council of Churches' Foreign Missions Executive Committee on World Literacy and Christian Literature.
Dr. Wilson was the author of a number of books, including Introducing Islam (1950), The Christian Message to Islam (1950), and Apostle to Islam: A Biography of Samuel M. Zwemer (1952). He edited Minister in Training: Textbook in Field Education (1957), and contributed various articles to encyclopedias and religious journals.
0.3 Linear Feet (1 Box)
These papers were given to the Seminary by Mrs. Milton Powelson of Jamesburg, New Jersey, July 30, 1991. When the collection was organized in May of 1996, some other biographical items were added from the Archives' office files.
- The J. Christy Wilson Sr. Manuscript Collection
- Raymond D. Cannata
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Princeton Theological Seminary. Library. Special Collections Repository
Princeton Theological Seminary
25 Library Place
Princeton NJ 08540 USA