The Paul D. Votaw Collection of First Presbyterian Church of Pittsburgh and Clarence E. Macartney Papers
Identifier: SCM 326
- This is when the materials were given to the Seminary.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection is indexed under both the First Presbyterian Church of Pittsburgh, PA and The Reverend Clarence Edward Macartney. There are no restrictions on the use of this collection.
Biographical / Historical
These materials relate to the First Presbyterian Church of Pittsburgh, PA and the life of its pastor, Reverend Clarence E. Macartney. These materials were donated to the Seminary Libraries by the Reverend and Mrs. Paul D. Votaw of Freeport, IL. The material came in three donations. Rev. and Mrs. Votaw brought the first part of the collection to the Seminary personally in October 1999. They drove to Princeton from Freeport, IL with the special purpose of delivering this collection. Again in September, October, and December of 2001 they added additional materials to the collection, including the set of First Church Life from 1957 to the late 1970s. Paul D. Votaw graduated from Princeton Seminary in the class of 1945. He was ordained that year and was accepted as a missionary of the Presbyterian Church to Lebanon in 1946, and served there until 1951. He was an assistant pastor at the First Presbyterian Church in Pittsburgh from 1952-1954, serving there during Dr. Macartney’s final years. He then became the pastor of the Gashland Church in Kansas City, MO from 1954 until 1979, and then served as pastor of the Presbyterian Church in Dakota, IL until his retirement in 1985.
4.4 Linear Feet
- The Paul D. Votaw Collection of First Presbyterian Church of Pittsburgh and Clarence E. Macartney Papers
- Description rules
- Language of description