The William Sherman Skinner Manuscript Collection
Identifier: SCM 379
Scope and Contents
The papers of Dr. W. Sherman Skinner were donated to the Seminary Archives in 2000 by his son, the Rev. Sherman Skinner of Lawrenceville, NJ. The collection consists primarily of sermon manuscripts, personal documents, correspondence, and Dr. Skinner's files of sermon illustrations, sermon topics, and scripture references. These items were organized into a manuscript collection in July of 2000.
- 1927 - 1976
Conditions Governing Use
There are no special restrictions on access to this collection. It is available for the use of library patrons under the regular rules and conditions of the Seminary Archives.
Biographical / Historical
Dr. W. Sherman Skinner (born 1906) was educated at Princeton University, Colgate University (A.B. 1927), Princeton Theological Seminary (Th.B. 1930, Th.M. 1931), and the Universities of Berlin and Marburg as Alumni Fellow (1931-32). Reverend Skinner also received honorary degrees from Temple University (D.D. 1941) and Lafayette College (D.D. 1948). He pastored First Presbyterian Church of Bethlehem, PA from 1933 to 1936, First Presbyterian Church of Germantown in Philadelphia from 1936 to 1947, East Liberty Presbyterian Church in Pittsburgh from 1947 to 1955, and Second Presbyterian Church in St. Louis from 1955 to 1970. Dr. Skinner then served as the interim executive of the Synod of Southern California and as a visiting professor at McCormick Theological Seminary from 1972 to 1975. He also served as a trustee of Princeton Theological Seminary. Dr. Skinner died in New Mexico in 1976.
1.67 Linear Feet (1 carton 1 small metal filing cabinet)
- The William Sherman Skinner Manuscript Collection
- Joe L. Coker
- July 2000
- Description rules
- Language of description