The William Swan Plumer Manuscript Collection
Identifier: SCM 053
Scope and Content
The collection includes correspondence, sermon notes, biographical materials, bibliographical items, printed articles, and book manuscripts.
Language of Materials
There are no special restrictions to access of this collection. It may be examined by library patrons under the normal rules and conditions Special Collections.
The following is the acceptable citation for publication: The William Swan Plumer Manuscript Collection. Special Collections, Princeton Theological Seminary Library.
- Born, July 26, at Greersburg (Darlington), Pennsylvania.
- B.A., Washington College, Virginia.
- Student, Princeton Seminary.
- Missionary and stated supply, Virginia and North Carolina.
- Ordained evangelist, by Presbytery of Orange.
- Stated supply, Petersburg, Virginia.
- Pastor, Petersburg, Virginia.
- Pastor, First Presbyterian Church, Richmond, Virginia.
- Pastor, Franklin Street Church, Baltimore, Maryland.
- Pastor, Central Church, Allegheny, Pennsylvania and Professor, Western Theological Seminary
- Pastor, Second Presbyterian Church, Pottsville.
- Professor of theology, Columbia Theological Seminary.
- Died, October 22, Baltimore, Maryland.
Dr. Plumer was also an author and commentator. He was awarded honorary doctorates from Washington College (Pennsylvania), Lafayette College, College of New Jersey (Princeton University), and the University of Mississippi. Dr. Plumer was Moderator of the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church in 1838 and 1871.
4.9 linear feet (11 boxes)
This collection of Dr. Plumer's papers was reorganized in June of 1996. Boxes 1 - 8 had been organized previously, probably in the 1970's and assigned call numbers according to the old library class system (Doc .P73). Folders in Box 1-4 are numbered continuously from 1-29. Boxes 9-11 are additional materials of unknown origins.
- The William Swan Plumer Manuscript Collection
- Raymond D. Cannata
- Description rules
- Finding aid prepared using DACS.
- Language of description
- December 20, 2016: EAD finding aids for collections processed and encoded before 2015 were revised slightly and imported into ArchivesSpace in 2016.