The Theodore L. Cuyler Manuscript Collection
Scope and Content
This collection includes three letters from former Presidents of the United States, as well as sermons and photographs. The bulk of the correspondence comes from his scrapbooks.
Language of Materials
There are no special restrictions to access of this collection. It may be examined by library patrons under the normal rules and conditions of Special Collections. Due to the fragile nature of the scrapbooks in this collection, photocopying may be done by staff members only.
The following is the acceptable citation for publication: The Theodore L. Cuyler Manuscript Collection. Special Collections, Princeton Theological Seminary Library.
- 1822 January 10
- Born, Aurora, New York
- Graduated, College of New Jersey (now Princeton University)
- Stated supply, Burlington, New Jersey
- 1848 May 4
- Ordained, evangelist, Presbytery of West Jersey
- Pastor, Third Church, Trenton
- Pastor, Market Street Reformed Church in America (Dutch), New York City
- Pastor, Lafayette Avenue Presbyterian Church, Brooklyn
- Awarded honorary doctor of divinity, College of New Jersey
- Pastor emeritus, Lafayette Avenue Presbyterian Church
- 1909 February 26
- Died, Brooklyn
Theodore Ledyard Cuyler was a prominent Presbyterian pastor at Lafayette Presbyterian Church in Brooklyn, New York. At the height of his career in the ministry, Lafayette Church was the largest Presbyterian Church in the country and Cuyler's influence extended well beyond Brooklyn to include the College of New Jersey (now Princeton University) as well as overseas in Great Britain. Much of his correspondence includes letters from prominent British clergyman as well as the Prime Minister of Great Britain. This is also true for correspondence from this country. Cuyler received letters from prominent clergy, including Henry Ward Beecher and James McCosh; as well as statesman and philanthropists such as Robert Todd Lincoln, Cornelius Vanderbilt and John Wanamaker.
5.5 Linear feet (5 boxes)
Series 1: Correspondence (Box 1) This is correspondence from the scrapbooks that was removed because it was loose and could have been lost in use.
Series 2: Correspondence (Box 1) This is correspondence from File D that consists largely of letters in regard to Cuyler's "Recollections of a Long Life."
Series 3: Scrapbooks (Boxes 1-3) Scrapbooks contain correspondence, clippings, articles, and ephemera.
Series 4: Sermons and Addresses (Boxes 4-5) The sermons are largely from Lafayette Presbyterian Church. There are only a few addresses. There is no order to this material. It was left as found.
Series 5: Photograph Album (Box 4) Early photographs of Moderators of the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
The Cuyler Collection was given to the Seminary by Theodore L. Cuyler III. It was organized on March 6, 1996. Scrapbook volume 13 was located in the archives backlog and added to Series 3 of the collection in the summer of 2008.
- The Theodore L. Cuyler Manuscript Collection
- Douglas F. Denné
- Description rules
- Finding Aid Prepared Using Dacs
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- December 20, 2016: EAD finding aids for collections processed and encoded before 2015 were revised slightly and imported into ArchivesSpace in 2016.
Part of the Princeton Theological Seminary. Library. Special Collections Repository
Princeton Theological Seminary
25 Library Place
Princeton NJ 08540 USA