The Samuel Thompson Lowrie Manuscript Collection
Identifier: SCM 119
Scope and Content
This collection includes Dr. Samuel T. Lowrie's diaries, sermon notes, exegetical notes, scrapbooks with correspondence, and biographical materials.
- 1842 - 1924
Language of Materials
There are no special restrictions to the access of this collection. It may be examined by library patrons under the normal rules and conditions of Special Collections.
The following is the acceptable citation for publication: The Samuel Thompson Lowrie Manuscript Collection. Special Collections, Princeton Theological Seminary Library.
- 1835 February 8
- Born, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- Graduated, Bachelor of Arts, University of Ohio
- Graduated, Master of Arts, University of Ohio
- Graduated, Western Theological Seminary
- Student, University of Heidelberg
- Ordained, Presbytery of Huntingdon
- Student, University of Berlin
- Professor, Western Theological Seminary
- Received honorary Doctor of Divinity, Washington and Jefferson College
- Chaplain, Presbyterian Hospital
- Secretary, Presbyterian Historical Society
- Member of the Board of Directors, Princeton Theological Seminary
- 1924 September 21
- Died, Saint Davids, Pennsylvania
Samuel Thompson Lowrie, a former Director of Princeton Seminary, was born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania on February 8, 1835 to Walter H. and Rachel Thompson Lowrie. He was a graduate of Miami University of Ohio (AB, 1852; AM, 1854) and Western Theological Seminary (1856). He pursued additional graduate work at the University of Heidelburg, Germany (1856-57) and the University of Berlin (1863). He also received an honorary Doctor of Divinity degree from Washington and Jefferson College in 1875. Dr. Lowrie was licensed by the Presbytery of Ohio in 1856 and ordained to the ministry by the Presbytery of Huntingdon in 1858; after which he served as pastor to several churches. At various times he also served as a professor at Western Theological Seminary (1874-77), a chaplain at Presbyterian Hospital (1885-89), corresponding secretary for the Presbyterian Historical Society (1893-1906), and a member of the Board of Directors of Princeton Theological Seminary (1893-1910). Dr. Lowrie died in St. Davids, Pennsylvania, September 21, 1924.
0.3 Linear Feet (1 Box)
Many of the items in this collection were donated to the Seminary Libraries by Andrew F. Derr, Jr. (date unknown). Many of these items had previously been organized in the Seminary Library's "File D," while others were cataloged as manuscripts and assigned an "MS" number. These materials were processed as a manuscript collection and the original finding aid was written in July of 1996 by Raymond D. Cannata, under the direction of William O. Harris, Archivist. The finding aid was edited by Sarah Seraphin and Daved Anthony Schmidt in March of 2009.
- The Samuel Thompson Lowrie Manuscript Collection
- Raymond D. Cannata
- Description rules