The Charles Rosenbury Erdman Manuscript Collection
Scope and Content
This collection includes the personal papers Dr. Erdman. Among these are scrapbooks, correspondence, diaries, daybooks, lecture notes, sermon outlines, article manuscripts, printed materials, photographs, and memorabilia.
Language of Materials
There are no special restrictions to access of this collection. It may be examined by library patrons under the normal rules and conditions of Special Collections.
The following is the acceptable citation for publication: The Charles Rosenbury Erdman Manuscript Collection. Special Collections, Princeton Theological Seminary Library.
- 1866 July 20
- Born, Fayetteville, New York
- B.A., College of New Jersey (now Princeton University)
- Student, Princeton Theological Seminary
- 1891 May 8
- Ordained in the Presbytery of Philadelphia North, PCUSA
- Pastor, Overbrook Presbyterian Church, Philadelphia
- Pastor, First Presbyterian Church, Germantown, Pennsylvania
- Professor, Practical Theology, Princeton Theological Seminary
- Pastor, First Presbyterian Church, Princeton, New Jersey
- Died, Princeton, New Jersey
Dr. Erdman also received honorary doctorates from the College of Wooster (1912), Davidson College (1924), and Princeton University (1925). He was the author of over thirty popular biblical commentaries and books of pastoral theology. Professor Erdman was elected the Moderator of the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church in the United States of America in 1925.
9 Linear Feet (16 Boxes)
This collection is arranged in eight series: Diaries and Daybooks, Correspondence, Manuscripts (sermons, notes, lectures, and articles), Sermon outlines, Scrapbooks, Printed material, Clippings and Miscellany, and Addendum.
Dr. Erdman's papers were donated by his family, following his death in 1960. The collection was semi-organized some years ago (probably in the 1960's), though no finding aid was developed. The items were assigned call numbers (each beginning with "Doc .E") and cataloged . This collection remained in library storage and was not generally available to library patrons. In April of 1996 the collection was reorganized and a finding aid was written by Raymond D. Cannata, under the direction of William O. Harris, Archivist. At that time additional papers from the Seminary archive's department files and from "File D" were joined to the collection as addendum. The finding aid was edited in June 2008 by Sarah Malone.
- The Charles Rosenbury Erdman Manuscript Collection
- Raymond D. Cannata
- May 14, 2008
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Princeton Theological Seminary. Library. Special Collections Repository
Princeton Theological Seminary
25 Library Place
Princeton NJ 08540 USA