The Henry James Owen Manuscript Collection
Scope and Content
This collection consists of a memorial scrapbook of the Reverend Owens, including clippings, obituaries, correspondence and other items.
Language of Materials
There are no special restrictions to the access of this collection. It may be examined by library patrons under the normal rules and conditions of Special Collections.
The following is the acceptable citation for publication: The Henry James Owen Manuscript Collection. Special Collections, Princeton Theological Seminary Library.
- 1846 February 14
- Born, Allahabad, India
- Graduated, College of New Jersey (now Princeton University)
- Student, Princeton Theological Seminary
- 1871 October 16
- Ordained, Presbytery of Central Philadelphia
- Pastor, Richmond church, Philadelphia
- Stated supply, South Salem, New York
- Ill health, resided in Colorado Springs, Colorado
- 1878 March 31
- Died, Colorado Springs, Colorado
The Reverend Henry James Owen (1846-1878) was born in Allahabad, India. He was the son of Joseph and Augusta Owen, who were missionaries to India in the mid-nineteenth century. He was educated at the College of New Jersey (now Princeton University), Princeton Seminary (class of 1869), the University of Bonn, Germany, and the University of Edinburgh. He served as a Presbyterian pastor for several years, but died very young at the age of thirty-two.
0.3 Linear Feet (1 Box)
This scrapbook was given to the Seminary by Miss Jean Osgood Smyth. For many years it was preserved in the library's "Alumni Alcove" collection. This item was processed, and the original finding aid was written in October of 1996, by Raymond D. Cannata, under the direction of William O. Harris, Archivist. The finding aid was edited by Sarah Seraphin and Daved Anthony Schmidt in May of 2009.
- The Henry James Owen Manuscript Collection
- Raymond D. Cannata
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the Princeton Theological Seminary. Library. Special Collections Repository
Princeton Theological Seminary
25 Library Place
Princeton NJ 08540 USA