The Leonard J. Trinterud Manuscript Collection
Identifier: SCM 165
Scope and Content
This collection includes sermons, addresses, typescripts of articles and reviews, clippings and mementos from the life of The Reverend Doctor Leonard J. Trinterud (1904-1993).
- 1950 - 1963
Language of Materials
There are no special restrictions to the access of this collection. It may be examined by library patrons under the normal rules and conditions of Special Collections.
The following is the acceptable citation for publication: The Leonard J. Trinterud Manuscript Collection. Special Collections, Princeton Theological Seminary Library.
- 1904 September 25
- Born, Aneta, North Dakota
- Graduated, University of Washington
- Student, Bachelor of Theology, Princeton Theological Seminary
- Student, Master of Theology, Princeton Theological Seminary
- Ordained, Presbytery of Seattle
- Religious book editor, Westminster Press, Philadelphia
- Associate professor, Church History, McCormick Theological Seminary, Chicago
- Professor, Church History, McCormick Theological Seminary
- Professor, Church History, San Francisco Theological Seminary
- 1993 July 24
- Died, Walnut Creek, California
The Reverend Doctor Leonard J. Trinterud (1904-1993) took the B.A. degree at University of Washington, the B.D. and Th.M. at Princeton Theological Seminary, and the Th.D. at the University of Lund, Sweden. He also did graduate work at Princeton University. He was ordained by the Presbytery of Seattle in 1940 and served as religious book editor at Westminster Press, Philadelphia, 1941-46. He was Associate Professor of Church History at McCormick Theological Seminary in Chicago from 1947 to 1949, and thereafter Professor of Church History until 1963. From 1963 to 1972, he served as Professor of Church History at San Francisco Theological Seminary. His published volumes include, The Forming of An American Tradition (1949), A Bibliography of American Presbyterianism During the Colonial Period (1968), and Elizabethan Puritanism (1971). He was also the translator of The Gospel of God by Anders Nygren.
0.3 Linear Feet (1 Box)
This collection was given to the Seminary in June of 1994 by Mrs. Leonard Trinterud of Pleasant Hill, California. It was organized and the original finding aid was written by Raymond D. Cannata, under the direction of William O. Harris, Archivist. The finding aid was edited by Sarah Seraphin in May of 2009.
- The Leonard J. Trinterud Manuscript Collection
- Raymond D. Cannata
- Description rules